Support for Your School
Early Reading and Phonics Showcases
Join us for a half day Showcase training event where senior leaders and teachers can share best practice in phonics and early reading. Events are fully funded subject to eligibility. Two attendees per school, one must be the Headteacher. £150 supply costs will be paid to schools meeting DofE funding criteria on receipt of a completed Showcase response form.
During the day supported schools will have the opportunity to:
- Take part in a phonics lesson study to explore the teaching of systematic synthetic phonics through observations and discussion across EYFS, Year 1 and Year 2.
- Complete a school reflection activity to identify the strengths and improvement priorities for their own school, supported by Specialist Teachers. Further support in the form of a full three-day audit will be available to selected schools.
- Find out about access to subsequent support including applying for English Hub funding of up to £6,000 and how to access free tailored support to develop early language and reading in your own school.
Click here to book an upcoming showcase event
Early Reading and Phonics Audit
After reviewing a school’s reflection activity, Ramsbury English Hub will invite some schools to participate in a school-based audit of their early language and reading provision.
The audit will be led by one of our Specialist Teachers and it will focus on areas such as the school’s phonics programme and consistency, use of decodable books, training of staff and reading for pleasure.
Ramsbury English Hub will offer financial support to participating schools to invest in phonics training and resources. These resources will be match-funded by schools (with a cap of £3,000 per school) and informed by a careful needs analysis of the school’s current provision.
However, if schools meet two of the following criteria the Hub has the discretion to offer outright funding at a cap of £6,000 per school:
- Phonics Screening Check score below the national average
- Ofsted Requires Improvement or Inadequate
- Above average numbers of pupils eligible for the Pupil Premium
- The school is in an Opportunity Area
Reviewing Early Reading Provision – Tools for Schools from the English Hubs
Teaching early reading is the core purpose of every school, but it is the beginning not the end. Only children who can read choose to read. The English Hubs have prepared two audit tools to support schools in reviewing their provision to teach reading and to develop readers. Click here
For further support, please contact the Hub firstname.lastname@example.org